IAA: South Bend
IAA: South Bend is the Local Advisory Council of the Indiana Apartment Association that serves the greater South Bend Indiana area.
The purpose of IAA: South Bend is to promote, advise, and protect the general interest of the construction, ownership, and management of multi-family housing by engaging and uniting industry members through informative and engaging educational and networking events.
About the Indiana Apartment Association
The Indiana Apartment Association is a statewide trade organization serving the multifamily industry in the State of Indiana.
IAA Mission Statement
- To promote, advise and protect the general interests of the ownership and management of multi-family housing in the Indiana area by uniting those engaged in the business.
- To uphold the dignity of the property management profession and to acquire and disseminate useful business information among its members, to foster a spirit of cooperation among its members; to cultivate higher standards of practice and business ethics.
9100 Keystone Crossing
Indianapolis, IN 46240
Phone: (317) 816-8900
Fax: (317) 816-8911
Email: [email protected]
Local Advisory Council
The Local Advisory Council is a critical component of IAA’s strategic plan. This council actively plans and executes local engagement strategies including educational and networking events, member recruitment and retention, and local advocacy efforts. Council members serve as the key contributors to new and existing services and programs throughout the year.
Council Members Include:
Brooke Davis, Regional Property Manager, Bradley Company
Gavin Greene, Regional Property Manager, Flaherty & Collins Properties
Jennifer Huddleston, Regional Property Manager, Gene B. Glick Company, Inc.
Melissa Glass, Property Manager, The Addison on Main
Stacy Andrews, Property Manager, Willamsburg on the Lake
Jennifer Davis, Rent Path
Sabrina West, Property Manager, Emerald Pointe Apartments
IAA’s resources extend throughout the South Bend area, the state of Indiana, and at the national level. As an IAA member, you belong to a community of professionals that share mutual goals, interests and commitments. Becoming involved with your local multifamily network will allow you to make valuable connections with peers, share knowledge and gain insights into the latest trends in your profession.
- Utilize the Click and Lease Program to improve accuracy, save time and money, and protect your community
- Recruit the best talent by posting your open positions and connect with job seekers on IAA’s Career Center
- IAA actively advocates on your behalf at the Indiana General Assembly
- Attend the largest regional multifamily conference in the Midwest. Learn about new products and services, attend educational courses to hear nationally-known speakers and network with peers
- Access to the IAA website that allow members to share advice on topics of professional interest
- FREE classes to increase industry knowledge, promote professionalism, and provide better services to apartment renters and owners – all designed to increase NOI
- Receive a free subscription to IAA’s award-winning trade publication, INSites, which keeps members informed on local, state, and national activities
- Protecting the industry through local, state and national advocacy initiatives and grassroots mobilization.
- Network and learn about national apartment trends at NAA Meetings and Expositions.
- National award-winning monthly magazine and newsletters to keep you updated.
Upcoming Events and Education Courses in South Bend
Every second counts in responding to an emergency, and effective managers have a plan in place for dealing with any situation that may arise. The purpose of this course is to prepare multifamily staff members for natural disasters and common emergencies. Every property should have an emergency response plan that addresses the property’s unique needs. Attendees will learn how to develop and utilize their plan when responding to fires, floods, tornadoes, or other natural disasters.
Additional topics to be reviewed include:
– How to develop an emergency response team and who should be included
– How to prepare documentation and contact information to have on hand
– Training staff on emergency response
– Strategies for communicating with residents and the media after an emergency or natural disaster
– What should be included in an emergency response kit for your properties
Instructor: Gavin Greene, Flaherty & Collins Properties
Date: Tuesday, June 9, 2020
Time: 9:00am – 12:00pm EST
Location: DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel South Bend (123 N Doctor M.L.K. Jr Blvd, South Bend, IN 46601)
Cost: FREE for members
Also coming up in IAA’s Northern Council Areas!
Fair Housing = Good Business
All of us could be held liable for a fair housing compliant. Come join us to learn. During this session, we will discuss:
– What Maintenance Professionals need to know about Fair Housing
– Leasing Do’s and Don’ts
– The 7 Steps to handling a Reasonable Accommodation Request
– Recent Indiana laws that affect occupancy and emotional support animals
– Criminal Background Best practices
– How to avoid a harassment complaint
Instructor: Sherre Helmer
Date: Wednesday, June 10, 2020
Time: 10:00am – 1:00pm EST
Location: River City Church (108 Beck Ln, Lafayette, IN 47909)
Cost: FREE for members
REAC Inspection Standards
This four-hour course is an introduction and overview of many different types of industry standards and inspections that impact the trade, with particular focus on the federal Real Estate Assessment Center inspection. Also covered will be what to look for and how to prepare in an organized and professional manner to achieve the highest possible REAC scores. Topics include:
– Safety procedures
– Preparing for different types of inspections (fire department, local housing authority, bank, REAC)
– Action steps following inspections
Instructor: Herb Harr
Date: Wednesday, August 12, 2020
Time: 8:30am – 12:30pm EST
Location: St. Peter & Paul Macedonian Banquet Hall (9660 Broadway, Crown Point, IN 46307)
Cost: FREE for members
And more around the state!
South Bend Local Government Contacts
Pete Buttegieg: (574) 233-0311
Regular meetings are generally held on the second and fourth Monday of each month. Check the agenda for start times.
View the City Council homepage.
1st District – Tim Scott, President: (574) 538-1936
2nd District – Regina Williams-Preston: (574) 235-5983
3d District – Randy Kelly: (574) 235-5981
4th District- Jo Broden: (574) 235-5978
5th District – Dr. David Varner: (574) 291-1798
6th District – Oliver Davis: (574) 876-6938
At-Large – John Voorde: (574) 233-8933
At-Large – Gavin Ferlic: (574) 235-5979
At-Large – Karen White: (574) 520-4477
Kareemah Fowler: (574) 235-9221
Director of Code Enforcement
Randy Wilkerson: (574) 235-9486
*City offices are located at 227 West Jefferson Blvd. 46601
View the South Bend Government Website.
View the St. Joseph County Website.
Annual registrations for rental properties are due by September 30 to avoid possible late fees. Registrations are handled by the Department of Code Enforcement. Visit here for additional information.
Local Government Proposals/Ordinances Currently Under Consideration
Member only benefit! Find out more information about these ordinances by logging in to IAA’s Member Only portal.
Local Associate Members in the South Bend Area
Save time and receive the best quote possible by buying from IAA-vetted Associate Members. Search for vendors and service professionals servicing the South Bend area and connect with a specific contact committed to ensuring you receive the best possible product or service. Thank you for supporting IAA associate member business!
Click here to view the Buyers Guide!
Want to be listed here?
Associate Membership in IAA opens doors!
If your business has a product or service needed by the multifamily housing industry, associate membership in the Indiana Apartment Association can be a valuable asset. IAA associate membership promises one thing: EXPOSURE. Your membership will open doors and help you achieve your business goals.
- Gain direct contact with apartment owners and managers in your areas
- Stay current on important industry developments in the multifamily industry
- Boost sales of your products and services
Demonstrable benefits include:
- Members Buy From Members campaign that encourages members on the site level as well is in the corporate office to contact associate members first when looking for a product or service.
- Increased visibility through local networking and sponsorships of events in your area
- Display your IAA pride through certificates, plaques, window cling, etc.
- Access to member only information on the industry and association in our publications
- Subscription to industry news and trends in INsites magazine and Multifamily Minute newsletter
- And more! Contact IAA for full details